Essential tips for a successful caravan awning replacement
Your caravan awning has been or will be on many adventures with you, easing the heat of the day, protecting you from bothersome winds or giving you shelter from the rain. It’s a great caravan accessory that has either done its job but it’s time to say goodbye👋with an upgrade or perhaps you're wanting your first one installed.
Not only does a high-quality, correctly fitted awning keep you and your family protected in outdoor environments but, by replacing an old awning with a new quality one you will get long-lasting protection that fulfils any safety compliance regulations needed for caravans.
Whether you’re searching for ideas or need essential tips on how to replace or maintain your caravan's existing awning; this article is here to help!
- The great benefit of a caravan awning
- Research different caravan awning models and sizes to find the one that fits your needs best
- Measure the area carefully before purchasing a new awning so you know it will fit
- Securely anchor the awning to ensure it stays in place during bad weather
- Inspect the caravan and surrounding area for any potential hazards like sharp rocks or tree branches
- Care of your new awning
- Installing the replacement awning
- Test out your new awning by opening and closing it several times to make sure everything is working properly
Having an awning fitted to your caravan is one of the great benefits of caravanning because it gives you the opportunity and comfort of spending time in the great outdoors. Picture yourself and your partner, sitting under your awning enjoying a bottle of wine whilst watching the setting sun and listening to the birdsong at the end of the day. Or enjoying that time with a campfire gently burning in the near distance as the night closes in. There is nothing quite like sitting beneath that cover and watching the night’s amazing starlight display.
If you're planning your next camping trip, one thing you don't want to overlook is your caravan awning. A good awning can provide you with extra space to relax and enjoy the great outdoors, without worrying about sunburn or inclement weather. But with so many different models and sizes on the market, it can be overwhelming to choose the right one for your needs. Luckily, doing a bit of research and comparing different options can help you find the perfect awning to suit your style and preferences. Whether you're after a simple sun shade or a fully-enclosed space with windows and doors, there's sure to be an awning out there that ticks all your boxes. So don't hesitate to start your search today and get ready to enjoy a more comfortable, more enjoyable camping experience. Whether you’re replacing your awning as a result of a caravan insurance repairs claim or just the need to renew you can find the help you need at Takalvans.
When it comes to purchasing a new awning, measuring the area where it will be installed is crucial to ensuring a proper fit. With a tape measure in hand and a positive attitude, you'll be one step closer to enjoying the benefits of shaded outdoor space. Plus, taking accurate measurements beforehand will save you time and money in the long run by avoiding the headache and expense of returns or replacements. When measuring ensure that you don’t measure the old awning as it will have shrunk or at worst be well out of shape. Measure across instead from centre to centre of the upright posts. This will give you the most accurate idea of the size of awning you need for your rig. Better still leave the renewing of the awning to the professionals at your caravan service centre.
When it comes to enjoying the great outdoors, few things are as essential as a reliable awning. But with unpredictable weather patterns becoming increasingly common, it's more important than ever to ensure that your awning is securely anchored. Luckily, there are plenty of simple steps you can take to make sure your awning stays in place no matter what mother nature throws your way. One of the best options of course is to keep an eye on the weather forecasts, wind direction and wind strengths and roll up the awning if storms are predicted. Other than that, as the best option, using sturdy ground stakes, guy ropes or heavy-duty straps as taking a little extra time to properly secure your awning is an investment that can pay off in spades when that sudden rainstorm rolls in. So don't let stormy weather put a damper on your outdoor adventures.
Inspect the caravan and surrounding area for any potential hazards like sharp rocks or tree branches
Before setting up camp on your caravan adventure, it's essential to take a few moments to inspect your vehicle and its surroundings for potential hazards. This simple step can help ensure a safe and enjoyable stay for everyone. Take a walk around the caravan and look for any sharp rocks, tree branches, or other obstacles that could cause damage to your vehicle, caravan and awning or create danger for your family. Don't forget to check the surrounding area where you'll be camping, looking out for hazards like uneven terrain, soft boggy surfaces or low-hanging tree limbs. By taking a proactive approach to safety, you'll have peace of mind knowing you've done everything you can to protect your loved ones during your caravan camping adventure.
Before setting out on your next caravanning adventure there are some easy steps to take to ensure you get the best performance from your awning. Some worthwhile ideas are:
- Always roll out your new awning several times to ensure its correct operation
- Ensure it is totally dry on the day before you set out again rather than rolling it up wet
- If it is unavoidable roll it up wet then dry it out as soon as possible thereafter
- Before rolling up, give the awning a brush down to remove leaves, branches insects, bird droppings or dust
- Always centre the pull-down strap and let it wind up at an angle to avoid it stretching the awning cover in one area
- Use an awning cover when it’s not in use or while in transit
- Use some bungees or velcro around the awning posts in transit to ensure it can’t unravel while travelling
- Never attempt to retention the lead bar assemble torsion spring. Get your caravan service centre professionals to do that operation for you
Installing a replacement awning can seem like a daunting task, best left to the professionals. Attempting it on your own can lead to significant complications that may end up in disappointment for you. Apart from getting the tension right and the correct measurements there is a significant technical operation in mounting the awning. Your caravan insurance repairs centre can fit your new awning without you having the frustration of trying to do the job yourself.
Test out your new awning by opening and closing it several times to make sure everything is working properly
If you've recently had a new awning installed, it's best to test it out to ensure everything is working correctly. So, why not take advantage of the sunny weather and give your new awning a proper workout? Open and close it several times and observe any potential issues or possible malfunctions. Make sure the movements are smooth and fluid, and the fabric doesn't snag or get caught in any parts. This might seem like a small task, but these steps can prevent future frustration and ensure a stress-free summer getaway under your brand-new awning.
Wrap up on the awning :)
Replacing a caravan awning is easy when done correctly. It requires particular research, preparation and an understanding of the manufacturer's instructions and safety measures.
Summary of some quick tips:
- Careful measurements and anchor-securing techniques should be implemented to ensure your replacement awning is as safe and secure as possible.
- Be sure to check for any hidden dangers that may compromise the integrity of your new caravan awning.
- Once everything looks good, open and close the awning several times to make sure it’s functioning correctly.
Caravanning should be an enjoyable experience and having an awning replaced brings you one step closer to that goal. If you find yourself in need of assistance with your awning in Bundaberg or Hervey Bay, get in touch for all your servicing or replacement needs – we’re here to help!